Track My Phone: How To Stop People From Tracing Me?
- Alex Smith
Updated on: 15/02/2023
334 Views | 0 Comments
Mobile phones are an essential part of people’s lives these days. It is one of the must-carry objects for people globally. Usually, they carry it with them wherever they go. Taking a smartphone with you or leaving it behind at your home does not make much of a difference unless there is an emergency. However, one should be careful and question oneself “Can someone track my phone even if I have my location turned off?”
Essential Points To Note:
- Track My Phone is a great setting to find your lost phone.
- Government and even cybercriminals can track your location if they can access your account.
- You are required to detect some red flags that indicate your device is tracked.
- You need to turn off the location data on your phone, especially for specific applications to stop people from tracing you.
- There are other best practices that can keep your location information away from people.
Table of Contents
- How To Track My Phone For Free Online?
- How To Turn Off Location Data On Your Smartphone?
- How To Turn Off Location Data For A Specific App?
- How To Detect If Someone Is Tracking Your Location?
- How To Stop Someone From Tracking Your Phone?
- The Finale!
You can be tracked by anyone from the government to anti-social groups. This, however, depends on the requirement and how likely your location is important to them. Usually, trackers are used to tracking you down. But there are other ways in which someone can access your location without any tracker. The following are some of the possible ways:
- By tracing your SIM card location via the network operator. This can be done to track your phone only with authorized persons and a special permit issued for the purpose.
- By tracing your Gmail account or the person possessing access to your Gmail account.
- Various mobile phones these days come with the “track my phone” or “find my phone” option that lets one find their phone if lost or misplaced. People having access to these accounts can also track down a phone.
How To Track My Phone For Free Online?
We will explain how you can turn off your location data and ward off people from locating you. But before that, we felt a quick solution to the most asked question “How To Track My Phone For Free Online” would be beneficial.
Method 1: Using Google Map (Android)
This is the most suitable method for android users and comes pre-installed with every android app. Thus, track my phone with Google is made easy. If you are looking for “track my phone for free online” for android, this could be useful.
Method 2: With Find My Phone (Android)
Find My Phone for Android is equally important as Google Maps. It is an online GPS phone tracker that uses Google Maps for Android users. However, this feature only works if a phone is online. If the phone is offline, it will only display the last known location.
Method 3: Using Find My iPhone (iOS)
This is probably one of the best features that all iPhone users enjoy. Apple has incorporated this feature that permits remote access to the iOS devices such as iPhone, iPod, iPad, and other Apple gadgets like Mac computers, Apple Watch, and AirPods. You can also use iCloud find to search for your device.
Method 4: Track My Phone By Phone Number (Android & iOS)
You can easily track your phone for free or “locate my phone number” using just your phone number. In most cases, this will require the country, code, landline number, and phone number that you want to follow. You can also invest your time and money on any mobile number tracker third-party app. Make sure you are wise enough to use these services to “track my phone number location”.
Method 5: Track My Phone By IMEI (Android & iOS)
Track my phone by IMEI number - if you have done it at least once seeing some tech hacks, you will be familiar with this. If you know the IMEI number of your device, it will be easier for you to track your phone for free online. IMEI is the abbreviated term for International Mobile Equipment Identity. This number is unique for individual devices.
How To Turn Off Location Data On Your Smartphone?
The smartphone permits one to easily switch off their location whenever they wish to. Both Android and iPhone holders can do it. Following are the ways explained in detail.
Turning Off Location On Android
Following are the steps to turn location data off on your Android phone:
- Swipe down the notification shade from the top of your cell phone.
- Locate the “Location” icon in the list of displayed options.
- Touch and hold the Location icon.
- On the “Location Access”, ensure that the “Access my location” is toggled off.
- Then, scroll down to the “Location Services” option.
- Tap the “Google Location Accuracy”.
- Turn on or off the “Improve Location Accuracy”.
Turning Off Location In iOS Devices
Follow the below-mentioned steps to turn off the location in Apple devices:
- Go to “Settings”.
- Locate “Privacy”
- Choose “Location Services” and turn it off.
Note: A lot of apps require location permission to function correctly. For example, apps such as Google Maps or Find My Device would require location permission for performing in the best possible manner. Thus, the global option for turning off the location data might hamper the functionality. In the bid to let these apps work, you will have to disable the location data permission from the individual apps.
How To Turn Off Location Data For A Specific App?
As already discussed, some apps will not be able to work properly if the location data is turned off globally. This is because the step will make it applicable to all apps. Instead, you have to choose the apps that you do not want it to track your location. Below are the steps for both Android and iOS devices.
Turning Off Location On Android For An App
The following steps would help you to turn off the location data on your Android for an app.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Tap “Apps”.
- Locate and choose “Permissions” or “App Permissions”
- Select “Locations” and open it.
- After you open it, you will be able to see a list of all the applications that will ask you for the location data of your phone. All you have to do is toggle the slider on or off next to location permission to enable or disable the location data for the particular app.
Turning Off Location On iOS For An App
On Apple’s iOS devices, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to “Settings”.
- Locate “Privacy” and “Location Services” under it on your iPhone or iPad.
- Under this setting, you will be able to find a list of installed apps on your device that will ask for your location data in iOS. Against each app, four location options are displayed - never, Ask next Time, While Using The App, and Always. If you do not want to permit the app to track your location, simply choose “Never”.
How To Detect If Someone Is Tracking Your Location?
It will be difficult indeed if there is no way to detect if anyone is tracking your location. That said, if they are successful, they can even track the precise location you are in. Thus, here are some signals or red flags that someone has installed mobile spyware.
1. Heavy Usage Of Data
If you do not have a habit of checking your monthly bill properly, then you must make it at the earliest. This will help you to identify if you have any unexpected data usage. In case you detect data usage that is more than usual, then this could be a red flag. This means that a hacker might be using your smartphone to send back data to his devices.
2. Rapid Battery Drainage
Excessive battery drainage can be a sign that someone is tracking your phone. This might mean that the hacker is transferring data from your phone to his device which is causing rapid battery drainage of your cell phone. This, however, should not be mistaken with owning an old phone that has faster battery drainage issues.
3. Phone Gets Heated Up Faster
If a hacker is successful in installing spyware on your smartphone and runs this in the background, then this can heat up your phone faster than expected. This is because the mobile is constantly working, letting the spyware function in the background. Make sure to cross-check if this is the case. Else, it could also be that your phone usually gets heated up when used excessively.
4. Phone Reboots Unexpectedly
If you experience a sudden shutdown or rebooting of your cellphone when you are in the middle of something, you can take it as a red flag. You might have malware installed on your smartphone that is interrupting the normal processes and the operating system.
5. Takes Longer To Shut Down
For a phone to shut down, it will first need to turn off all the processes and applications that are running. If your cell phone is sending data to the hacker, then this will mean that shutting your phone down will take longer than normal.
6. Jailbroken (iOS) or Rooted (Android)
Did you notice strange apps suddenly popping on your phone’s home screen, like Lydia (iOS) or SuperUser (Android)? Take it for sure that a hacker has jailbroken your iOS device or rooted your Android phone. Following this, they can use it to install malicious software on your phone.
7. Device Runs Slower Usually
It is for sure that your mobile will eventually get slower with time. However, if you notice the sudden slow performance of your phone such as lagging, then this might mean that you have spyware installed on your device.
8. Electronic Interference Or Background Noise
The new generation tracking software and spyware are usually quiet. But you might hear an echo, buzzing static, or other electronic noise during the phone calls. If this is the case, then this might mean that your phone is being tracked by a hacker or hackers.
9. Appearance Of Strange Apps
Earlier, we have already mentioned some of the unexpected apps that you might notice on your phone’s home screen if hackers have hacked your device. That said, these are not the only applications that are mysterious in nature. There are other such apps as well. If you are sure that you have not installed any unknown app, then this could probably be the hacker who has installed spyware or malware.
How To Stop Someone From Tracking Your Phone?
You can stop someone from tracking your phone in various ways. The following are some of the ways in which you can prevent someone from restricting them to use “Track My Phone” settings and other settings that can reveal your real-time location:
1. Turn Off WiFi In Public Place
Public WiFi is usually free and it is often convenient for most people. However, it is completely unsafe in most cases. You might be unaware of the fact that public WiFi can be used to monitor your activities and collect important information. Thus, to prevent this, you should turn off your WiFi and turn on mobile data while you are in any public place. This will make sure that your device uses your mobile’s internet.
2. Turn Off GPS And Location Sharing
Turning off the location permissions is not a cent percent way to prohibit your phone from being tracked. However, doing this will keep away most location trackers from tracking you.
3. Check Your App Permissions
As already discussed earlier, some of the applications will ask for your real-time location permission to function properly. This includes applications such as Google Maps or Apple Maps, Google’s Find My Phone, delivery applications, weather apps, and more.
That said, there are some apps that do not genuinely require knowing your real-time location. This means that they can function properly even without the location information. In the case of such applications, you must go to Settings and turn off the permission for it.
Additionally, you need to cross-check the online privacy options before downloading any app and installing it on your device to check what exact permissions it will ask for. If the application is asking way too much than needed, then this app is not worth installing.
4. Download Cautiously
You must make it a habit of downloading and installing applications from a trusted source such as the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Installing applications from any third party often poses risks that we tend to overlook. You might infect your device with malware, spyware, and adware.
5. Use A Virtual Private Network (VPN)
A Virtual Private Network or VPN is a great tool that helps you in many ways. The most common thing it is used for is to hide your IP address offering privacy online. Thus, make sure to install a trusted VPN and use it on your devices.
That said, keep a note that you might still be tracked even if you use a VPN. Therefore, you need to ensure that the VPN you are about to opt for does not keep any logs and prevents IP leaks. It is recommended not to use any free VPN but choose a paid VPN instead. The latter is much safer to use than the former.
The “Track My Phone” is both a boon and bane to people having a smartphone. While it can help them find their lost phone, it can also help the hackers get your precise location. This article has explained why it is absolutely important to be aware of this and how you can stop your phone from being tracked.